Saturday 14 November 2009

FIRST SHOOT!!

So it's been a long time coming, but I have got one shoot under my belt. Basically, having taken inspiration from everything I have researched and the idea of transitional spaces I decided to attempt to 'paint with light' using my car as a subject. I wanted to try and create a visually exciting image that uses the light trails to give the image a surreal feel.



These first three images are the experiments I started with. Using a white LED Torch and three battery powered candle effect lamps I created the effect. I tried as best I could to outline the car and paint in some of the details. I don't feel these images came out particularly well but they are a start! Another issue is that you can see where I have been standing still for too long whilst the shutter has been open.






I tried an angle from behind the car so I could try and get a light trail from the lights of passing cars. However, this did not go quite to plan as the road was not very busy, and the shoot was taken fairly late at night, but in theory it could add another interesting element to the image. Again, I tried to outline parts of the car, but I am not very happy with the results, as it just seems messy. I could improve on this by using brighter lights, or trying to shoot details of the car.



I moved back around to the front of the car, and used a wide angle lens to distort the car and give it an odd effect. I began to get a bit bored with simply outlining the car, and halfway through I dropped the bike light I was using. Thinking the picture was ruined but still with 20 or so seconds left on the exposure I ran around the car, waving the light to try and get as whacky an effect as I could. Surprisingly, these are the results I am most happy with, as they give a the car a weird halo of light, which looks more like graffiti, which I quite like, and reminds me of some of the LICHTFAKTOR work in my earlier posts.

Overall I am fairly happy with the shoot, and feel that with a little more time and experimentation could produce some interesting images. However, this avenue may be limiting, so I will continue with my research and development to see where I could go from here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam! These are preeeeeetty. Love the top two!

    This guy might be helpful, he rocks. He's called Troy Paiva and he's done some really amazing light painting shizz - www.troypaiva.com

    ReplyDelete