Monday 16 November 2009

Stephen Shore

"Until I was twenty-three, I lived mostly in a few square miles in Manhattan. In 1972, I set out with a friend for Amarillo, Texas. I didn't drive, so my first view of America was framed by the passenger window. It was a shock."




This is the work of Stephen Shore, and his quotation at the start of the post had a big effect on me. I have always loved travel and driving, and I have always found long journeys fascinating. Whilst researching work with a travel theme, I was struck by Shore's simplistic but very well thought out image of his America. I think the images have captured the essence of his journey, and give an insight into what he experienced in this new and exciting world of life on the road.






He documented his trip and shoots as he travelled, which I find really interesting. I think it would be really interesting to document a trip or travel as a theme, but look out for Crewdson style lighting and colour along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment